5 tips to getting & staying motivated with your workouts
I've worked out at home for about 5 years now. It's a different head space you have to get into to be successful for some people, I get that. But the convenience as a mom is something I cannot pass up. I do not have time (or the desire) to be around other people while I workout, pay a ton more for classes, or even the time waste in a commute just I don't love it.
But whether you workout in a gym, at home, take classes, these tips will help!
1. STOP RELYING ON MOTIVATION. I know, I know, this goes against my title right?? But in all seriousness, motivation is a feeling, and those change day to day or even faster. I promise you right now - you will NOT be motivated every day. I'm not, that's for sure!
Where motivation lacks, discipline must make up.
Think of it this way. I have lots of tasks I have to do as a mom or just overall adult. Example :: I'm not always MOTIVATED to make my kids lunch, or do pay my bills. But HI I'M AN ADULT and those things aren't optional.
When you stop treating your workouts as something that's OPTIONAL, you'll see more results because that's DISCIPLINE.
2. CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT YOUR WORKOUTS. Instead of treating your workout as something that takes away from your day, simply treat it as apart of your day.
And I totally get this is easier said than done, but when you look at working out because you CAN not because you HAVE TO, your mindset will change and mindset is everything I'm telling you!
3. FIND A WORKOUT YOU ENJOY. There are soooo many different types of fitness out there, so find a style that challenges you yet you enjoy (most of the time). There will be portion of a specific type of exercise you don't enjoy that you should push through anyways (ie. if you love to cycle but don't love climbs, you should still do climbs), but overall, if you enjoy how you feel while you're doing it, or when it's over, you're more likely to stick with it.
A few examples of "genres of workouts" to try out -
barre, cycling, running (no thanks), lifting, zumba, kickboxing, circuits, crossfit, yoga, I'm sure I'm only scratching the surface.
4. LAY OUT YOUR CLOTHES. Have your clothes out the night before as a reminder to DUH, workout! Even if you workout later in the day, if you SEE your clothes, your brain is like - mk, let's do it! Getting them on ASAP whether that's when you get up in the morning or when you get home from work, that'll help too!
Go a step further, and have clothes that you LIKE to wear so you'll be excited to put them on and get to work!
5. SCHEDULE IT. This is another mindset piece, but if you had a meeting with your boss, but you didn't feel like going, would you just skip it? K OBVIOUSLY NOT. So why do we do that with ourselves? Schedule your workout and stick to it like that! Your health is IMPORTANT!
One day at a time girlfriend! YOU GOT THIS.